White Gazpacho

As we reach cruising altitude at 30,000 feet, I think to myself how cool it would be to post my first recipe from up in the air!! I'm thinking of my sister right now as I travel to Boston and this recipe is for her because she likes light  soups.  I made this also a week ago with Cindy's help and it reminded me of the cucumber sauce in a gyro so it has that type of a taste but much lighter. The traditional gazpacho is a Spanish tomato based red soup. But not all gazpachos are red. The white ones are made with cucumbers and are very light, delicious chilled & refreshing. Since it is still 80 degrees in Mumbai right now, I think this will come in handy all year round!
Ingredients:
Cucumbers 4 medium sized  (US)or 3 English long or 8-10 Indian small - peeled seeded and cut into chunks (save a thin slice for garnish if you wish)
3 garlic cloves
2 cups chicken stock (make stock with soup/bouillion cube and water)
Process above in blender and transfer to a bowl and add the following:

1 32 oz container plain yogurt (about 4 cups)
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper (I am not a big fan of white pepper because it smells wierd and a little excess could ruin the dish so I would probably go with black pepper)
1 large bell pepper (red or yellow or green) - chopped really fine
1/2 medium red onion, finely diced (use one that has been sitting in the fridge and not too strong or soak in water for 5 minutes to make milder)
1/4 cup milk
Stir to combine and chill well. Served garnished with a cilantro leaf, dill or a thin slice of cucumber.  Best if prepared several hours in advance or the night before. So easy!

Comments

Popular Posts