Peach and Blueberry Pie












INSPIRATION: Tyler Florence and Kelley's Birthday
Last night I was in a funk and I really needed something to get out of it. Who would have thought that I would resort to baking. But it worked -- I decided to yank myself out of the couch and walk to the Kroger at around 8:30 pm. I bought ingredients to make the dough from scratch, refrigerate it overnight. I decided to leave the baking + filling for the morning. Give yourself at least 3 hours on Sunday morning because this takes time. But it is the best and a lot of FUN.

This is MY FIRST PIE ever.....so I was kinda nervous at first. The pie is such a trademark of American cooking in my mind, and I really wanted to get it right. Besides I thought I would take it to Kelley's for her birthday so then I started gettin serious and paying attention to what I was doing. I looked up recipies and decided on the one from Tyler Florence. I also looked at some youtube videos that helped me do the lattice top (in the pictures) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv4809RKhzg&feature=related. Since peaches and blueberries are in season I thoughts they woudl make a nice filling. The result was amazing -- I felt better. I was out of my funk. And it turned out much better than I expected -- at least that's what everyone at Kelley's house said :-). Personally it was one of the best pies I have ever had so my advice to you is to follow the steps and make it when you have a Sunday morning to yourself! Dont rush and be patient with the dough -- it can be difficult.
Ingredients
1 recipe Basic Pastry, chilled 30 minutes, recipe follows
Flour, for rolling
2 pounds peaches, pitted and sliced
1 pint blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter, cut into bits
Glaze: 1 egg, beaten with a drizzle of water
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Move the oven rack to the bottom third of the oven.
Divide the dough in half and set one half aside; cover it with a towel or plastic wrap to keep it from drying out. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a 10-inch round. Loosely drape the dough round over the rolling pin and transfer to a 9-inch pie pan. Press the dough over the bottom and sides of the pan. Trim the edges to about 1/2-inch.
Pie Filling: Toss the fruit with the sugar, lemon, and cornstarch. Pile the fruit into the pie shell and dot with the butter. Roll out the reserved dough to a 9 to 10-inch round and cut strips. Lay it over the fruit in a lattice design. Trim, and crimp the edges. Brush top and sides with the egg glaze. Put the pie on a baking sheet and bake until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling up through the vents, 50 to 60 minutes. Cover the edges with aluminum foil sometime 20 minutes into the baking and remove foin 10 minutes before end to prevent burning of edges.
Cool on a rack before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Tyler Florence Pie Pastry
Yields 1 double pie crust; Double or one and half this recipe for lattice top so you have enough dough to work with).
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 lemon, zested and finely grated
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed
Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and mix with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg yolk and ice water and work that in with your hands. Check the consistency of the dough by squeezing a small amount together between thumb and forefingers: You want there to be just enough moisture to bind the dough so that it holds together without being too wet or sticky. If it's still crumbly, add a little more ice water, 1 teaspoon at a time. When you get it to the right consistency, shape the dough into a disk and wrap it in plastic. Put it in the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts