Shepards pie


CATEGORY: Meal
SOURCE: Inspired by Rachel Ray and Simply Recipies
COMMENTS: Worcestershire is the key ingredient!
As soon as I got back from India, I have had a craving for Shepards pie, Pumpkin soup and Sourdough bread. Dont ask!
So yesterday I went to the store and decided to make the Shepards Pie. I looked up 2 simple recipies -- Rachel Ray's 30 minute one (BTW, I have to admit that I love her 30 minute meals). I also liked the recipie from "Simple Recipies". So this one is inspired by both but is my own in that I have added variation and definitely tweaked the Worcestershire which I think is the ingredient that "makes" this dish.

Dish makes 6 servings. Best in a medium rectangle glass baking dish. My version is about 45 mins to 1 hour.

Ingredients
6 small to medium potatoes (I used yellow because I think they are tastier) quartered
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup cream (broth can be used for lighter version)
1.25 lb ground beef or ground lamb or ground chicken
1 onion, chopped
Green chilli (optional)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
2-4 teaspoons Worcestershire (per taste)
Sprinkle of sweet paprika
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
Vegetables - I used frozen peas, carrots and corn (1/2 to 3/4 cup depending on how much vegetable you want in your pie)

Directions
Boil quartered potatoes in salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Cool, peel and place them into a bowl. Combine egg yolk and cream. Season with salt, pepper. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.

While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add little olive oil to season pan and then add the meat. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. Add onion to the meat and cook. Add veggies, stirring frequently.

In a saucepan over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Add green chilli and additional worcestershire for a kick.

Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are browned.

I usually add hot sauce while eating but thats just me.

Comments

  1. Made this...it was delicious!! I didnt use chicken though..tried it with bacon and sausages which i minced and it was yummmy..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts